Fort Bend Independent School District
** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE **
Hightower High School’s HOSA Team Earns Several Top Awards at National Leadership Conference
FORT BEND ISD ― Thirty-four Hightower High School Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) students competed at the HOSA National Leadership Conference at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort in June, and earned more national qualifiers than ever before.
The Hightower HOSA team, led by Medical Academy faculty members Tana Holmes and Katherine Harris, has a history of dominating the State of Texas and often Nationals—winning 23 national championships in the past six years. Many HOSA champions have gone on to earn full scholarships at the college/university of their choice due to their excellence in HOSA competition.
More than 7,000 students competed in various events at this year’s national competition, with Hightower earning the following top awards:
- Top Scorer in U.S. (the Kaiser Permanente sponsored Medical Current Events Exam) and recipient of a $1,000 scholarship from the Kaiser Permanente Corporation -- Shayak Sengupta (He is the first Texas HOSA student to earn this honor.)
- Mastery Level earned on the Kaiser Permanente sponsored Medical Current Events Exam -- Rohan Shah (He is one of 10 students accepted worldwide to the Rice Baylor Medical Program for next year.)
- Gold Medal (Public Health, Emergency Preparedness) – Suknandan (Tanya) Cheema and Dinishi Abayarathna
- Silver Medal (Dental Spelling) - Pujitha Sonti
- Silver Medal (Health Education) - Saif Merchant, Anita Vasudevan, and Liana Lo-Chau
- Bronze Medal (Career Health Display) – graduates Mahak Saad and Rohan Shah
- 4th place ((Biotechnology) - Hannah Pham
- 4th place (Dental Assisting) - Amber Ansari (She was coached and mentored by Dr. Nina Bhati of My Dentist in Missouri City.)
- 5th place (Veterinary Technology) - Maryanne Flasik (She trained at Sugar Land Veterinary Specialists.)
- 7th place (CPR) -- Hassan Shaik and Michelle Lo
- 9th place (Community Awareness) -- Carol Baby, John George, Jinu Stephen, and Salman Mukhi
- 9th place (Career Health Display) - Jiny Jimmy and Madiha Sajid
- 10th place (Medical Terminology Knowledge) - Darshan Patel
“We actually thought this would be a re-building year for us,” said Holmes, “so I am just thrilled at the way this team performed. This year’s competition demonstrated that student professional organizations aren’t only about competition. Our kids also attended various seminars on such topics as Improving Study Skills and Communication Skills. They also had the opportunity to visit Disney World! They left the competition with medals and great memories!”
The Health Occupations Students of America organization is a professional organization designed to allow future health professionals to learn and demonstrate prowess in the areas that they plan to pursue in the future.
Pictured are members of Hightower's HOSA Team.